A whole new fitness experience for our members
This fall, the South Shore YMCA is redefining our Health and Wellness experience to exceed our members’ needs and remain a first-in-class fitness facility for the health of our community.
Over the past two years, the Y has emerged from the pandemic and has worked our way back to a full membership base with a strong health and wellness team in place. For over a year, we have surveyed and met with our members to understand your wants, needs, and frustrations. We took that information to industry experts and consultants, collectively researched regional and national trends, and are ready to launch a new and improved experience for our members, with a new fleet of the best equipment in the industry, newly redesigned spaces, and a renewed commitment to excellence in service, cleanliness, maintenance, and access for all.
What We Learned
Our Members Want…
- More dumbbells and space to use them
- More functional equipment and space to use it
- More squat racks and Olympic movement equipment
- More bumper plates and deadlift platforms
- More plate-loaded equipment
- Dedicated stretching areas
- Additional offerings of selectorized equipment
- Adding EGYM to Hale Family Y
- Our Y needs to do a better job cleaning and maintaining equipment and spaces
And we are making it all happen this fall!
We took our member feedback to our consultants and industry experts to bring you an expanded selection of best-in-class equipment.
- Replacing more than 50% of our existing strength and resistance training equipment at the Hale Family Y and Emilson Y branches
- Adding new EGYM “smart strength” training studio at Hale Family Y and additional EGYM equipment at Emilson Y
- Increasing our selection of functional and free-weight equipment by more than 60% and building new functional turf space in Quincy
- Adding NEW Full Precor Resolute selectorized strength line and streamlining existing equipment lines
- Adding MORE new dumbbells, squat racks, Olympic equipment, bumper plates and deadlift platforms
Redesigned and Expanded Training Spaces
As we increase the amount of equipment in our facilities to better serve you, we are redesigning and expanding some of our training spaces accordingly, for better functionality and less crowding.
- Expanded free-weight areas and functional training turf spaces with an expanded selection of new equipment
- More mirrored spaces to spread out and track proper form
- New interior designs and color palettes create a cohesive atmosphere that helps members embrace health & wellness.
- Dedication of the Stacey Hugues Yoga & Wellness Studio at Emilson Y in October
Emilson Y Projects
In addition, we are working to bring you these newly reimagined spaces at the Emilson Y to impact more members:
- NEW Yoga Studio
- NEW Large-Scale Group Exercise Studio
- Playroom Renovation & Expansion
There are many moving parts to this project, and our goal is to manage the construction and installation with minimal impact to our members in the shortest time possible. Stay tuned for announcements specific updates from your branch executive team throughout the process.
- Equipment ordered
- Relocation of existing equipment, painting, patching, and prep work begins
- Electrical work and construction continues
- EGYM and other pieces of equipment are delivered and installed
- Delivery and installation of strength equipment
- Expanded strength training areas and functional training areas open
- Emilson upper level closed 11/27 to mid-January for studio renovation