September is Hunger Action Month
This September, communities across America are committing to fight hunger during Hunger Action Month. With every action, we get one step closer to making hunger a thing of the past. Not sure how to participate in Hunger Action Month? Here are some simple ways you can have a big impact on your community this month at the South Shore YMCA. Volunteers, funds and food are needed year-round to help our Y provide critical support to hundreds of families each month. Here’s how:
- Through our Germantown Neighborhood Center Food Pantry, we provide low-income households in our service area with fresh and non-perishable foods each week, all year long.
- Through our South Shore YMCA Family Farm, Camp Burgess & Hayward Farm, and Germantown Gardens, we grow hundreds of pounds of fresh produce each season for our Food Pantry and other local pantries, while teaching the community about local, sustainable farming and gardening.
Here is how you can get involved in Hunger Action Month
Please give this month to help feed local families and seniors through the South Shore YMCA food pantry located at our Germantown Neighborhood Center.
- Donate online at ssymca.org/donate and choose “Food Pantry” on the donation portal.
- Mail a check to South Shore YMCA, ATTN: Development, 79 Coddington Street, Quincy, MA 02169
DONATE FOOD & ITEMS
Start a food drive at your business, school or other organization.
- Spices/seasonings (ethnic options are a HUGE plus)
- Cake mix/frosting
- Baking products
- Snacks for families: chips, popcorn, and snack bars.
PERSONAL CARE & HOUSEHOLD
- Diapers & baby wipes
- Personal care products (shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc.)
- Laundry detergents
- Cleaning products
- Other household items
Volunteer at our South Shore YMCA Food Pantry in Quincy, and at our South Shore YMCA Family Farm in Hanover.
- Food Pantry: Contact Sandy Bouchard at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Corporate Volunteering: Contact Kathy Quigley at email@example.com
- Family Farm: Contact Kate Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org