When did the Quincy and Emilson YMCA branches reopen?
On Monday, July 6, when Phase 3 of Governor Baker’s Reopening Massachusetts Plan began.
Is ZoneWellness opening at the same time?
ZoneWellness in Norwell will not be reopening. Zone members are welcome to use Emilson or Quincy YMCA branches through the end of 2020 at their current ZoneWellness rate.
Will you have reduced hours?
Yes, but only slightly. To allow time for proper deep cleaning and nightly sanitization of our facilities, we will be open under a slightly reduced schedule. See our location pages at ssymca.org/Emilson or ssymca.org/quincy for hours of operation.
Will I have to reserve/schedule a time to visit the Y?
Yes, for Pools and Playrooms. Per state guidelines, online reservations are required for Lap Swimming and Playroom.
Will I have to wear a mask?
Yes, members will be required to wear a mask when you enter the building. Some exceptions apply, such as swimming, children under 2 years old and certain medical conditions.
How will I sign/scan in?
Members will be asked to stand 6 feet apart, as we quickly prescreen members with a Self-Certification process. Once you pass prescreening, you will be asked to sanitize your hands and scan your own card at the front desk.
Will you run group exercise classes once we enter Phase 3?
Yes, we are running a schedule of classes. All group exercise classes will be conducted in our field house / gymnasium, outside (weather permitting) or other spaces to allow for physical distancing. Our traditional fitness studios will be reserved for personal training and small group training. Our Group Exercise Schedules can be found at ssymca.org/schedules
What about physical distancing?
We have rearranged our equipment and facilities to allow for traffic flows and physical distancing wherever possible. We have made special accommodations for physical distancing during exercise and are taking numerous other safety precautions regarding COVID-19. We have displayed clear “RED MEANS STOP THE SPREAD” signage throughout the facility to help all members safely and easily navigate our new layouts, keeping a safe distance from one another. We are slowly opening parts of our Ys, in a limited capacity, as safely as possible.
What are your cleaning and sanitizing policies/procedures?
We have implemented new and enhanced cleaning programs and procedures, following all cleaning and sanitizing guidelines set forth by the CDC.
- We have thoroughly cleaned and sanitized our facilities in preparation for your arrival.
- Clear GREEN MEANS CLEAN signage will be visible throughout the branch to show you where increased cleaning and sanitization stations are located throughout the building.
- With enhanced cleaning protocols, you will see staff cleaning constantly each day.
- Members play an important role in keeping each other safe. Members must clean equipment before and after use, and be sure to wash/sanitize hands before each workout and throughout your visit.
- Our Y is professionally cleaned and sanitized each evening.
- Air flow buildings through filtered HVAC systems introduces fresh air to the building all day/night
Can I bring a guest?
Unfortunately, no. Because facility access is limited, Guest Passes will not be allowed during this time. This includes Nationwide Reciprocity. Everyone is welcome to join the Y, however!
Are you accepting new memberships?
Absolutely! We will be accepting new memberships and our “Membership for All” program allows members to pay based on their current income situation.
What if I have been laid off from work?
Our “Membership for All” program allows members to potentially pay a reduced rate based on your current income situation.
What areas/amenities are open?
- Wellness/Strength Equipment – Spaced apart for physical distancing. Limited capacity.
- Indoor Pools / Lap Swimming – As of October 5, two people per lane, by reservation only
- Group Exercise – Available with limited group sizes and physical distancing in place. Held in gymnasium/field house and outdoors where possible.
- Locker Rooms – Limited Capacity
- Playroom – Limited Capacity. Reservation required.
- Tennis – Private or Small Group by reservation
- Personal Training & Pilates – Private or Small Group with reservation
- Some Programs – TBA. Some programs may open with limited group size.
- Gymnasium / Field House – Open with very limited free time. Primarily used for group exercise and day camp.
- Spaulding Rehabilitation
In Phase 3, what areas will remain closed?
These areas may be closed or repurposed when we reopen, but as COVID-19 restrictions are lifted, we hope to bring things back soon.
- Gymnasiums, field house and turf areas may not open for group sports. Gymnasiums are reserved for group exercise.
- Whirlpools, saunas and steam rooms are closed until Phase 4.
- Some programs are not available at this time, but we are working to bring them back soon.
- Other areas of your Y may be closed to adhere with physical distancing guidelines. These areas will be marked with clear signage.
- SkyTrail indoor ropes course will not be available at this time.
- Cafés will not reopen at this time.
Can I bring my children?
Yes. Children 6-weeks to 6-years old are welcome at the Playroom. We have rearranged our Playroom spaces to keep children safe during their time. Reservations are required.
When will paid programs resume?
The Y has slowly reintroduced paid programs in Fall 2020, including swim lessons, gymnastics and limited sports, based on guidance from our local Board of Health and what we feel we can accomplish safely. We will keep members informed every step of the way.
What happens if there is a confirmed case of COVID-19?
We are prepared for this. We will follow the steps mapped out by the Board of Health and will close the Y to perform a deep cleaning and inform members. We will reopen when allowed to do so by the Board of Health.